Student Resources

SWD Events

    There are a variety of resources available at UCLA to support our parenting student population! If there are any resources that you feel should be added to this list, please email

Enrollment/New Students


Admissions to UCLA

We believe UCLA offers some of the best academic and student-services programs around; our students are some of the most accomplished and motivated anywhere. Find out for yourself why. Use the links below to learn more about what it takes to be a Bruin.

Undergraduate Admissions

Undergraduate Admissions  & Readmission Guideline

If you are interested in joining the Bruin family as a Freshman, Transfer student, or Readmitted student, visit the links above.

Graduate Admissions

Connect via this link if you are interested in joining the Bruin family as a Graduate student.


The UCLA University Registrar’s Office is part of the Student Affairs organization and provides high quality service and leadership to the UCLA community through excellence in staff, technology, communications, and workplace environment. Forging the path between student data and technology, the University Registrar’s Office delivers innovative solutions and quality services.

The office is located in Murphy Hall.

UCLA Registrar's Office The UCLA Registrar’s Office offers information and resources for current students, prospective students, faculty, staff, and alumni. It is home to the quarterly Schedule of Classes, the General Catalog, online courses, forms, important dates and deadlines, fee information, and more.



Undergraduate Students

UCLA's New Student Transition Program provides orientation to all newly admitted undergraduates. Orientation provides a comprehensive introduction to Bruin life at UCLA and is the first step in transitioning into UCLA. For first year students, orientation usually lasts three days. For transfer students, plan on a full-day of activities. 

Graduate Students

The UCLA Graduate Students Association and the UCLA Graduate Student Resource Center invite all new graduate and professional school students to participate in Graduate Student Orientation. This comprehensive orientation includes lunch, a resource fair, and workshops that provide information to ease the transition into graduate school and learn about campus services and involvement opportunities.

Academic Advancement Program (AAP)

Academic Advancement Program known on the UCLA campus as AAP, is the nation’s largest university-based student diversity program. AAP has enjoyed a tradition of academic excellence at UCLA for over 40 years.  AAP encourages and promotes academic achievement and excellence by providing students with:

  • peer learning (tutoring)
  • academic programs
  • academic, personal, and career counseling
  • graduate and professional school mentoring
  • scholarships
  • research opportunities and stipends
  • opportunities to participate in innovative science programs
  • and a computer lab

Many students in AAP come from high-need families, are the first in their families to go to college, are recent immigrants, or come from populations that have been historically underrepresented at the university. 

AAP counselors are familiar with the CalWORKS program and can assist with the academic plan paperwork required. Join an active and helpful community on the AAP Facebook Page 


AAP's Transfer Summer Program (TSP) is a seven-week rigorous academic residential program, running from July 27 – September 12, 2015, giving you experience with the academic demands of UCLA, introducing you to life at UCLA, and helping you feel comfortable as a UCLA student. You will be challenged academically. You’ll enroll in three university courses that meet UCLA’s graduation requirements. You’ll receive close personal attention from professors, teaching assistants, counselors, and peer counselors, and you’ll work closely with peer learning facilitators in small groups or in one-on-one individual meetings.

In TSP, you will gain even more confidence in your intellectual abilities before having to deal with the pressures of your first full quarter of university academic work; you will become familiar with the whole range of campus programs, services, and resources available to you; and you’ll have the opportunity to live on campus together with TSP students of diverse backgrounds.

Center for Community College Partnerships (CCCP)

Center for Community College Partnerships

CCCP works to increase transfer rates and success of underserved community college populations by developing and strengthening partnerships between UCLA and California Community Colleges. CCCP provides outreach, advocacy, peer mentoring, and strong academic support for prospective and new transfer students.

Financial Resources & Scholarships

Financial Aid

UCLA Financial Aid Office 

 The role of the UCLA Financial Aid Office (FAO) is to remove financial barriers to assist students in meeting the rising cost of attendance at UCLA. The FAO assists students with completing their applications for financial aid, determining level of need and offering financial aid to meet student's educational expenses. For detailed information on all available services, forms and publications from the FAO, please visit their website link above.

Financial Literacy

UCLA Financial Wellness is a program that increases students’ “Financial Literacy” teaches life skills that students need in areas such as navigating credit and saving, understanding student loan debt and repayment, making major purchases such as a car or house, and distinguishing necessary financial products from unnecessary ones. “Financial literacy” also means that students know how to live on a reasonable budget, and that they should only borrow as much as they need. Additionally, “Financial Literacy” means students will have the confidence and knowledge to navigate the university’s financial resources successfully, know when, who, and how to ask for help if necessary, and know how and when to apply for scholarships, fellowships, and other educational funding. 

One of the overall goals of our program is to connect students and staff to financial resources on campus and in our surrounding community. If you would like to print out a pdf list of our growing resource guide document please click here

The Financial Wellness Program also has a helpful list of personal tools that may help you on your journey towards economic balance.

Scholarship Resource Center & Parenting Scholarship Info

The UCLA Scholarship Resource Center provides invaluable information, resources, and support services to all UCLA students, regardless of financial aid eligibility. Among the many services offered are individual counseling, workshops, and writing assistance for scholarship essays and personal statements.

Hannah Nahm has been working on finding resources for Students with Dependents. The SRC's number is (310) 206-2875. Their hours are 11am to 6pm throughout the academic year and 12pm to 5pm during the summer. They are located in 233 Covel Commons, up on the hill, near the residence halls. 

Below are three scholarships available to parenting students. Contact Hannah Nahm in the scholarship office for more possibilities. Several dozen scholarships for child care, older students, career interest in teaching, nursing, tv & cinema, etc. 

Transfer Student scholarships. Most deadlines are in Spring Quarter.

Freshman Student scholarships. Most deadlines are in the Spring Quarter.

American Association of University Woman - AAUW provides fellowships, grants, awards, and scholarships to women who are preparing to advance their careers, change careers, or re-enter the work force.

American Legion Non-Traditional Student Scholarship
Applicants must be a member of the American Legion, and a non-traditional student (who is either starting their education later in life, or returning to finish their formal education which was interrupted for several years).

Adult Students in Scholastic Transition Scholarship (ASIST)—13 scholarships ranging from $2k to $10k. Applicants may be single parents, individuals just entering the workforce, or displaced workers

Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship: This scholarship honors Anita Borg, who revolutionized the way people think about technology and dismantled barriers that kept women and minorities from exploring computing and technology fields of study. 

The Educational Foundation for Women in Accounting:  Scholarships are awarded to women who are pursing accounting degrees at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.

Kazimour Scholarship: two scholarships available at $500 annually, awarded by Association of Nontraditional Students in Higher Education (ANTSHE) 

Linda Lael Miller Scholarships:
 New York Times Bestselling author Linda Lael Miller gives scholarships to women to improve their lives through education. 

The Patsy Takemoto Mink Education Foundation—for low-income women with minor children.

The Foundation regularly offers five Education Support Awards of up to $5000 each to assist low-income women with children who are pursuing education or training. Awardees will be selected based on 1) financial need; 2) personal circumstance; 3) educational path; 4) vocational or occupational goals; and 5) service or activist or civic goals.

The purpose of the PWFI scholarship is to give women a second chance to get the education they need to return to school and the workforce. It’s intended for women and/or single or stay-at-home moms who are returning to school after an extended period of time, changing careers, seeking advancement in their current careers
Possible Woman Foundation International Scholarship

In honor of Jeannette Rankin, the first woman to be elected into the United State Congress, the Jeannette Rankin Foundation Scholarship is for low-income women to help them succeed with their technical or vocational education.
Jeannette Rankin Foundation Scholarship

The Women's Opportunity Awards program is Soroptimist's major women's education project. Through the program, clubs in 19 countries and territories assist women who provide the primary source of financial support for their families by giving them the resources they need to improve their education, skills, and employment prospects

Sponsored by the Talbots Charitable Foundation, this scholarship is given to women who are going back to school to earn their college degree.

Talbots Women’s Scholarship Fund

WISP’s goal is to help formerly battered women obtain an education that will offer them the chance to attain stable employment, personal independence, and self-sufficiency. The scholarship is intended to help single mothers with young children who are struggling financially with childcare and education costs.

Student Loans Services & Collections

UCLA Student Loan Services & Collections is responsible for administering long-term educational loans, such as Health Professions, and Stafford Loans; GPLS and PLUS ; as well as private auxiliary loans. Among the many other services the Loan Services Office bestows are interest-free short-term loans to qualifying, currently registered students with urgent financial need.

Work Study

Work Study is a need-based form of Financial Aid that you earn through on or off-campus employment and receive in the form of a paycheck. The intent of the Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program is to encourage part-time employment and reduce the amount of loan debt incurred while attending college. FWS does so by paying a portion of your salary thus making it more advantageous for an employer to hire you. Lastly, any earnings made under work-study do not count against your aid eligibility when filling out the next year’s FAFSA or California Dream Act application, or against any cash aid you may be receiving as part of a state program. 

The benefit of utilizing FWS funds is that it can minimize the loans that you have to pay back. However, if you are not able to find a job that works with your schedule, you may convert the funds into additional student loans. Contact the financial aid office to fill out the request form to convert work study funds. 

NOTE: There is a deadline each academic year for converting a FWS award into a loan. Consult the Financial Aid deadlines calendar for the deadline.

Economic Crisis Response (ECR) Financial Resources

The ECR Team is an online resource that offers options for on-campus financial assistance at UCLA for students who have been impacted by current economic crisis.  There website has an extensive list of resources that explores a variety of on- and off-campus financial resources to students to utilize.  They also administer the ECR Meal Voucher Program, which has some distribution hours in the BRC

If you are in financial distress, please email

Graduate Childcare Reimbursement

An ASE/GSR who meets the standard eligibility requirements will be offered a reimbursement of up to $900 per quarter or $1,350 per semester for childcare costs during the academic year. Additionally, an ASE/GSR who meets the standard eligibility criteria for a summer session appointment can be reimbursed up to $900 for eligible expenses incurred during the summer.  


Qualified dependents:
A qualified dependent(s) shall include children, in the custody of the ASE/GSR, who are age 12 or under on July 1st, i.e., claimed as a dependent on the ASE/GSR tax return.  

Allowable receipts:
If care is provided in a day-care center, the center must charge a fee. If the center cares for six or more dependents who are not residents, it must comply with all state and local licensing laws and applicable regulations. Expenses incurred before the beginning of or after the end of a term are not eligible for reimbursement. Child care provided by the spouse, a child of the ASE/GSR under age 19, or someone else the ASE/GSR claims as a dependent for tax purposes is not reimbursable. 

Reimbursement Process:
Normally, at the end of the quarter or semester, or when the maximum reimbursement amount has been reached during the term, the GSR downloads the GSR Childcare Reimbursement form and the ASE downloads the ASE Child Care Reimbursement Form UBEN 254.   

The ASE/GSR completes the form, certifies that the appropriate program requirements are met and submits the form and applicable child care provider receipt(s) to the hiring unit’s personnel officer or other campus designated office. 

Reimbursement requests must be submitted after the expenses are incurred. Reimbursement requests must be submitted via UBEN 254form no later than the last day of the following term, (e.g. reimbursement for Fall quarter must be submitted by the end of Winter quarter). If the reimbursement is for Spring term, the request must be submitted before the first day of the Fall term. 

Note: Two GSR/ASE employees may not each claim the credit for the same provider care for an eligible child unless the provider care exceeded the term dollar limit of $900 per quarter or $1,350 per semester. The second GSR/ASE employee may claim the additional expense reimbursement by submitting a separate claim. Reimbursement forms and more info can be found here

Graduate Division Fellowship

The fellowship application is to be used by all continuing UCLA graduate students who wish to be considered for UCLA merit-based awards. Awards are not automatically renewable. Students must apply yearly, as applicable. If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, we urge you also to apply for need-based financial aid. Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available from the Financial Aid Office or at

Please note that students in self-supporting, special fee programs are not eligible to apply for any Graduate Division fellowships. Those program are: Architecture, M.Arch.II,  Education Leadership Program, Executive Master of Public Health, Management (Executive MBA, Fully Employed MBA, Global Executive MBA for Asia Pacific, Global Executive MBA for the Americas, Master of Financial Engineering, MBA), Master of Public Health for Health Professionals, and MS in Engineering Online.

Family Housing

UCLA offers four complexes for students with families. Whether you are a married or partnered student (with or without children) or a single parent, UCLA offers you several options for comfortable, convenient, and affordable housing. The following four university apartments are available to student families:
University Village: This complex was built exclusively for student families, meaning married or partnered couples with or without children, and single parents with children residing with them at least 50% of the time. University Village (UV) is 3.5 miles away from UCLA. Bus lines are nearby and $.50 for UCLA students.
Keystone/Mentone; Venice-Barry; Rose Avenue: Mixed Use Housing Facilities: Student families may also reside in these complexes, although these are not built especially for family living.

All UCLA housing complexes available for parenting students are located in the Palms and Mar Vista area, ranging about 3 – 5 miles away from UCLA. Family housing is in high demand, it is therefore in your best interest to apply early should you desire to be considered for housing. For new students, the application deadline is usually at the beginning of June (please check with UCLA Housing for updated deadlines). The non-refundable application fee is $30.00. Please note that a $500 deposit will be required upon your acceptance of your housing offer (usually within 2-3 days). Should you need assistance arranging the deposit, please contact the Students with Dependents program at (310) 794-1823 immediately after receiving your housing offer.

Housing Application

Office of Residential Life
The UCLA Office of Residential Life (ORL) works closely with Housing and Hospitality Services to provide students comfortable, convenient, and affordable on-campus housing — and to enhance opportunities for academic success, community, personal growth, and leadership development.

The Application Process:
Students who are married couples, single or same sex domestic partners without children are eligible for a one-bedroom or two-bedroom apartment. These apartments are in high demand and the waiting list for some complexes is carried over from the preceding year. If you wish to be placed on the wait list and you are a full-time or newly-admitted UCLA student, submit an on-line application as soon as possible at the My Housing website. Access the housing application here.

Housing Options

UCLA Family Housing UCLA offers a variety of housing options, including family housing. To inquire about the housing options available to students with families, please click on the links highlighted here. UCLA offers four choices of family housing options: 

The 2015-16 rate sheet is available here.

Housing-Off Campus

UCLA offers a Community Housing off-campus housing listings system. The system provides a listing database for private, off-campus rentals. To access the browse the listings, or post listings, click on the link above. Vacant listings are available to current and newly admitted UCLA students, and UCLA Faculty, Staff and Affiliates who have purchased a membership account. The general public may view shared listings and short-term sublets listings for free. If you have additional questions, please contact the UCLA Community Housing Office at 310-825-4491.

UASRA Community Center

The University Apartments South Residents Association (UARSA) manages reservations for the Community Center, Gazebo, and Sepulveda Resource room. UASRA and UCLA Cultural and Recreational Affairs work together to provide classes for adults and children living at University Apartments South. The UASRA also provides free language classes for children. Residents receive class registration information each quarter through flyers posted at each apartment. 

Residents should visit UCLA Recreation's UAS website for information about courses and to register online:



UCLA Transportation

Learn about the various transportation options available to UCLA students: public transportation, bicycling, Vanpool, carpooling, walking, car rentals (Zipcar), and buying parking permits.  

Parenting Student Parking Exemption

A parking exemption is an application process based on individual needs.  Most parenting students qualify for the exemption. It is important that you submit the exemption/email prior to the application deadline each quarter. If you miss the deadline, you can still petition for a parking pass, however, it may not be guaranteed. If you have an issue with the parking process, the contact the SwD office to see if they can be of assistance.

THE PROCESS: Email the parking office at informing them that you are a parenting student and require parking. In your email, include a copy of your child's (children's) birth certificate to verify that you are supporting a minor child. Follow-up with the parking office directly if you have not received confirmation of your request within 2 weeks.


UCLA Transportation strives to provide smart and sustainable commute options for students, staff and faculty by offering discounted public transit passes, bicycle incentive programs, vanpool programs, carpool parking discounts and more. By embracing a low-car or car-free lifestyle, staff and faculty support UCLA's efforts to create a vibrant, sustainable and healthy campus. Smart Commute options are available here.

Early Education/Childcare


UCLA Child Care UCLA offers many services for childcare to student parents. Among them are:

Parenting & Children's Friendship Program
The UCLA Parenting & Children's Friendship Program offers social skills group programs for children in elementary school, junior high and high school who are have having problems making or keeping friends. They also offer parent training/behavior modification programs for parents with children and early adolescents.

Connections for Children

Connections For Children is a non-profit Child Care Resource and Referral agency serving parents, child care providers, and educators. They are the unrivaled child care experts in the Westside and South Bay communities of Los Angeles County. They guide families and child care professionals towards quality services and programs. 

 Connections for Children is an approved CalWORKS servicer.


Graduate Childcare Reimbursement

Graduate Students may qualify for the Graduate Division's Childcare Reimbursement Program, which reimburses qualified graduate students (usually who are TAs or GAs) up to $900 in childcare costs each quarter (or $1,350 each semester). 

Here's where you can find more info and to see if you qualify: Grad Student Childcare Reimburse Info


UCLA SwD Program is proud to partner with 

Use our special PROMO CODE to get a $15 credit for yourself. In addition, UrbanSitter will donate $20 to a SwD account that will be used to provide childcare at SwD sponsored events. 

Loved by parents everywhere, Urbansitter offers: 

  • Summer babysitters 
  • ​Part/full-time nannies 
  • Date night sitters 
  • Last minute care 
  • Mother's helpers

Additional Resources

More info coming soon!



The Arthur Ashe Student Health & Wellness Center is UCLA’s health care facility designed specifically to meet the needs of UCLA students. The on-campus facility is fully accredited and offers appointments in Primary Care, Women’s/Men’s Health, Immunizations, Physical/Occupational Therapy, Travel Medicine, Specialty Clinics, Acupuncture, and Massage. It also offers conveniences such as an on-site pharmacy, a virtual health library, and a student health insurance plan.

UC SHIP is a systemwide plan providing enhanced health benefits to all enrolled students. All registered students are automatically enrolled in UC SHIP, but if you have comparable insurance and you do not want to keep UC SHIP as dual coverage, you must submit a request to waive enrollment by the specified deadline. You can access a waiver request here.

Plan Highlights 2015-2016

Adult routine preventive immunizations: Tetanus diphtheria/Pertussis, Measles/Mumps/and Rubella, Meningococcal, Varicella, Influenza, Hepatitis A and B, Pneumococcal, Anthrax, BCG, DTaP, Hib, Hib and DTP, Japanese Encephalitis, MMRV, Rabies, Smallpox, Typhoid, Yellow Fever, Zoster, Polio, and Human Papilloma Virus (subject to age limit) are covered at 100% at The Ashe Center.

Prescription Drugs: Ashe Pharmacy: $5 generic, $25 brand-name, $40 non-formulary. 2015-16 UC SHIP Benefits Summary

Dependent Care UC SHIP

Undergraduate, graduate and professional students who are enrolled in UC SHIP have the option to enroll eligible dependents in a voluntary insurance plan. The plan provides Anthem Blue Cross PPO medical insurance with the option to purchase Delta Dental benefits.

Coverage, rates, fees, and optional benefits can be accessed here.


Beginning with the 2014-15 policy year, dental coverage is now included as part of UC SHIP for undergraduates and graduate students at no additional costs.

Looking for a dental facility that accepts the UC SHIP Delta Dental Plan or cash payment for services?

The UCLA Dental Clinics are providers of comprehensive, high quality and affordable dental care option for students who may need preventive and routine dental care. Depending on the case complexity, patient time availability and financial resources, treatment can be delivered at three different levels: dental students (with a supervising faculty member), dental residents and faculty group practice.

For more information, visit or for directions, hours, and general information please call 310-825-2337.

To make an appointment, please call 310-206-3904.

Family Clinics

Local Family & Children’s Clinic Links:

In the event that you need to seek medical care when The Ashe Center is closed, remember that all currently registered UCLA students have access to advice & information from a registered nurse through the 24/7 NurseLine at (310) 825-4073.

Urgent Care Centers within 10 Miles of UCLA:

For an up-to-date list of urgent care centers within the UCLA area,

please download the PDF guide by clicking here

Note: The Ashe Center and Swd Program do not promote or endorse any outside provider/facility. We also cannot confirm urgent care holiday hours. We offer this instructional information as courtesy to you. If the Urgent Care Center is closed, you can also seek medical emergency care at the Ronald Reagan Westwood or Santa Monica UCLA Medical Centers. Refer to the insurance page for a summary of urgent care plan benefits.

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

UCLA Counseling And Psychological Services (CAPS) provides a range of services and programs to promote mental health, emotional resilience and wellness for the campus community. Their counselors work with students, parents, staff and faculty. Among their many services, they offer wellness skills development groups that focus on self-management and stress management skills. They also meet with faculty, staff and students to provide training on emotional health and wellness. Please visit their site for more information on the many services and programs they make available to the Bruin community.

New/Expecting Parents and Partners

Information from the CAE’s webpage for pregnant and parenting students:

A normal pregnancy generally doesn’t qualify as a disability under the ADA, although disabling conditions associated with pregnancy (such as gestational diabetes and preeclampsia) would qualify if they substantially limit one or more major life activity. Pregnant and/or parenting students who have general questions about their rights under Title IX should contact the Title IX office.

Although a normal pregnancy doesn’t qualify as a disability under ADA, the CAE provides academic accommodations for pregnant, parenting, and lactating students. Common accommodations available to pregnant, parenting, and lactating students include: 

  • Adjusted attendance requirements

  • Adjusted assignment deadlines 

  • Exam accommodations (separate test environment, time compensated breaks) 

  • Modified assignments 

  • Access to lactation spaces on campus 

  • Van service 

  • Parking 

  • Housing

If you are an expecting, parenting, or lactating student and you need academic accommodations, please apply for Accommodations here.During the interactive process, a CAE Disability Specialist can work with the student to devise an accommodations plan tailored to each student’s unique needs. It should also be noted that parenting student rights also extend to male students. 

If you are unsure of whether your questions or issues should be addressed by the CAE or the Title IX office, please feel free to give us a call. The CAE works closely with the Title IX office to ensure that you have access to the information and accommodations you need. If you are experiencing a web accessibility issue, please contact the ADA/504 Office for further assistance by emailing or calling (310) 206-8049. 

If you are a student and would like to file a disability-based discrimination grievance, please see UCLA Procedure 230.2: Student Grievances Regarding Violations of Anti-Discrimination Laws or University Policies on Discrimination Based on Disability.

Refer to the Resources and Policies for Breastfeeding at UCLA guide for information about: 

  • Your rights as a pregnant and/or parenting student at UCLA under Title IX 

  • Map of Lactation Spaces at UCLA: Access the lactation room layer on the interactive UCLA campus map here

  • UCLA Resources and Student Organizations 

  • UCLA Lactation Educators, with support for enrolled students and their partners 

If you are thinking about taking leave, consult with the Students with Dependents Program Staff and/or the Insurance Office on the 4th Floor of the Ashe Center to clarify how the timing of leave may affect your health insurance. 

Specialist can work with the student to devise an accommodations plan tailored to each student’s unique needs. Please note; parenting student rights also extend to male students.

New Parent Resources

The Pump Station Santa Monica

2415 Wilshire Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90403
(310) 998-1981
Toll free: (877) 842-7867

UCLA Birthplace 
Medical Center, Santa Monica

1250 16th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Phone: (424)259-8252.

Well Baby Center

The Well Baby Center is a non-profit center that offers parenting classes, parent-child groups, and counseling services on a sliding fee scale. Specific services include parenting and pregnancy, counseling and consultations, mindful parenting groups, and special needs/music classes.

Lactation Map and Services

UCLA Lactation Educator Counselors are available for individual and group counseling and education on breastfeeding related topics. To contact a Lactation Counselor, contact Students with Dependents Program at 310-794-1823.  For additional information about UCLA Lactation Services please click here

The UCLA campus has 5 dedicated, private spaces on campus available for breastfeeding. 

Please click on the image below for a full size map.



Arthur Ashe Student Health & Wellness Center is UCLA’s health care facility designed specifically to meet the needs of UCLA students. The on-campus facility is fully accredited and offers appointments in Primary Care, Women’s/Men’s Health, Immunizations, Physical/Occupational Therapy, Travel Medicine, Specialty Clinics, Acupuncture, and Massage. It also offers conveniences such as an on-site pharmacy, a virtual health library, and a student health insurance plan.


Launching Bright Beginnings - Research shows that mothers-to-be who are well informed make good choices are often result in healthier pregnancies. Answers and support are just a phone call away. Register for the Future Moms program at no additional cost by calling our toll-free number: 866-664-5404. $30 Babies"R"Us gift cards may be available when you enroll!

Helpful Services

Parenting Classes – Westside Area

Breakthrough Parenting, Inc.
2118 Wilshire Blvd. #987 Santa Monica, CA 90403
Phone: (310) 207-9977

DAZ Foundation
1850 Sawtelle Blvd, Suite 490, Los Angeles, CA 90025
1500 Rosecrans Avenue, Suite 500, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
Phone: (323) 447 8372 and (424) 239-6472

Early Childhood Parenting Center
1440 Harvard Street Santa Monica, CA 90404
Phone: 310) 310 8646

Echo Parenting and Education
1226 N. Alvarado Street, Los Angeles, CA 90026
Phone: (213) 484-6676 | Fax: (213) 484-6646

K-12 Schools & Summer Programs


LAUSD requires a rental contract/lease agreement with a move-in date in order to enroll a child in school – there are no exceptions. A packet with other requirements can be obtained directly from your district school’s office or via their website.

Schools located near University Family Housing are:

Elementary (TK-5th):

-Clover Avenue Elementary
-Richland Avenue Elementary *French Immersion program **TK - 6th grade
-Charnock Road Elementary
-Brockton Elementary
-Nora Sterry Elementary
-Westwood Elementary
-Palms Elementary

Middle (6-8):

-Weber Middle School
-Palms Middle School
-Emerson Middle School

Senior (9-12):

-University Senior High School
-Venice Senior High School

Information about Magnet, Charter, and Private Schools can be found here, and in our Students with Dependents Guide.

After School Programs

STAR Program

After school programming is offered at several public school campuses (elementary and middle.) Scholarships are available based on individual needs and availability funds. Please contact the camps department for more information at Your school's main office will also have information about the STAR program on campus.

Boys and Girls Club

Offers bus transportation after school for eligible campuses. They also offer homework assistance, child development workshops for children as well as parents. There is a $20 membership fee at Santa Monica locations, but other locations may offer free membership. Consult website locations for locations that serve your area. 

TIPS: Palms Middle School and Palms Elementary are included for bus transportation program. Please contact website for application information and programs:

Beyond the Bell

A state funded after school education and safety program. Operated in cooperation with LAUSD. Care is from the release of school day until 6:00pm each school day. Consult website for further information:

YMCA Los Angeles

After school programs including: Academic Enrichment Program, Teen Club, and Tutoring and Homework Help. More information:

4500 Sepulveda Blvd. Culver City, 90230
Ph: 310-390-3604

11311 La Grange Ave. Los Angeles, 90025
Ph: 310-477-1511

Winter and Summer Programs

Camp Fun in the Sun

CalWORKS/Connections for Children accepted. See Richland Avenue Elementary program directors for more info. Open to all kids in grades K-6.

UCLA Recreation Summer Camps

UCLA Summer Recreation Camps are a fun and safe way for kids to enjoy summer break. Camps are available for grades K-12 including swimming lessons, Explorers, sports, and theater. "Counselors in Training" is a great experience for kids in grades 8-12. 

Special registration for UCLA student families is MARCH 5th. Spaces fill up fast so do not miss this exclusive registration fair!

SCHOLARSHIPS ARE AVAILABLE to Students with Dependents! Applications can be picked up at the Sales & Service Cashiering office on the 1st floor of the John Wooden Center. A limited amount of applications may also be available in the BRC SwD office. Due to limited availability, submit your application early to ensure consideration.




Mar Vista Recreation Center


"Summer Days" Camp Fair

Do you want to send your child to a day camp but not sure how to find out what’s available? Join Parents Education League and Tips on Trips and Camps for their fourth Annual “Summer Days” Camp Fair on Sunday, March 6th at Stephen S. Wise School, 15500 Stephen S. Wise Drive, Los Angeles from 12-3pm. Entrance is free!

Representatives from over 50 day camps in the Los Angeles area will be represented. Whether you are looking for a traditional day camp, an art camp, or camps specializing in musical theatre, computer, cooking, science, sports, academic enrichment or comedy, there is something for every child! You will have the unique opportunity to meeting camp directors and staff, and to pre-register for camps that typically fill up quickly.

Student Services

Dashew Center

The Dashew Center for International Students & Scholars serves the international community at UCLA. They are the central hub for contact, resources, support and advocacy for international students and scholars. The Dashew team collaborates with UCLA departments to facilitate academic teaching and research, international education efforts, and diversity initiatives. They provide services and programs to enrich the experience of the international and domestic communities. They are dedicated to building and maintaining partnerships across the campus to ensure appropriate avenues for academic and professional success are available for international students and scholars. The Dashew Center, believes that international students and scholars provide critical global perspectives: across country, across culture, across difference.

    What they do:

  • Serve over 12,000 international students and scholars from over 110 countries 
  • Support UCLA international students through immigration, personal, academic, and cultural advisement 
  • Provide comprehensive services for visiting international researchers, scholars, professors, and post-docs 
  • Advise UCLA departments on employment-based immigration for their non-citizen faculty and staff 
  • Design, implement, and promote a wide range of programs, trainings, and resources to enrich the student and scholar experience
  • Build partnerships across UCLA to assist with campus internationalization and diversity initiatives

Student Legal Services

UCLA Student Legal Services provides legal counseling and assistance regarding a diverse and wide-ranging list of issues to current UCLA students. Student Legal Services helps students with a variety of problems, including: domestic violence, harassment and discrimination; divorces and other family law matters; health care, credit, and financial aid issues; and automobile purchase, repair, and insurance problems. Student Legal Services also frequently assists students with problems they have with other UCLA departments in such areas as housing, ADA compliance, and faculty misconduct.

Career Center

The UCLA Career Center offers services and resources to help UCLA students, UC graduates and employers reach their goals. Among their vast amount of services, The UCLA Career Center offers a variety of different services for currently enrolled UCLA students, such as career planning, career counseling, career exploration, national and international employment and internships.

Community Programs Office (CPO)

The UCLA Community Programs Office (CPO) is one of the most diverse places on campus, where students from various communities come together to learn from each other and share each other’s experiences. It is a place for students to find a community away from home, a safe place where they can feel comfortable enough to grow and flourish during their time on the UCLA campus. The CPO serves as an umbrella to the Student-Initiated Access Center, the Student Retention Center as well as twenty-four community service projects.

The CPO office strives to help students succeed in any way that it can. It offers things like free scantrons and blue books. Definitely pay them a visit to see how they can help you!

Center for Accessible Education (CAE)

Center for Accessible Education encourages independence, assists students in realizing their academic potential, and to facilitate the elimination of physical, programmatic, and attitudinal barriers. The CAE staff is here to assist you in meeting your educational challenges successfully. Services are designed to meet the unique educational needs of regularly enrolled students with documented permanent and temporary disabilities.

The GRIT Peer-to-Peer Life Coaching Program

Grit Peer-to-Peer Life Coaching program is committed to the development and well-being of the whole student. GRIT stands for guidance, resilience, integrity and transformation.  In this program, UCLA students receive individualized support from trained peer coaches, with the aims of enhancing overall well-being and improving academic and personal success by utilizing various strategies for empowerment.  Topic areas that peer coaches focus on during their one-on-one sessions with students include stress management and mindfulness, fostering positive social connections, goal setting, academic skills enrichment and navigating campus resources. 

Click here to request a coach.

Social Services


California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kid (CalWORKs) is a welfare, time-limited program that provides financial assistance to eligible needy families with (or expecting) children to help pay for housing, utilities, clothing, medical care, and other necessary expenses. The program serves all 58 counties in the state and is operated locally by county welfare departments. If a family has little or no cash and needs financial assistance, this program may be available to provide immediate short-term help. Families that apply and qualify for ongoing assistance receive money each month to help pay for housing, food and other necessary expenses. The amount of a family's monthly assistance payment depends on a number of factors, including the number of people who are eligible and the special needs of any of those family members. The income of the family is considered in calculating the amount of cash aid the family receives. Some UCLA students with dependents qualify for CalWORKs.

CalWORKS/GAIN services can be accessed through the Bruin Resource Center (BRC) and Academic Advancement Programs (AAP) Office (Carina Salazar and Eric Wells are the main AAP Professional Counselors that assist students with completing DPSS paperwork). The BRC is a department of Student Affairs and can assist student parents with the application and verification process. We have coordinated efforts with the local DPSS offices to provide our staff with the necessary skills to better assist students with paperwork verification needs. 

We are available to answer questions regarding case management, advocate on student’s behalf, and provide additional resources. Paperwork can be completed during BRC Office Hours (Mondays 10:30 - 12:30 p.m., Tuesdays 1:00 - 3:00 p.m., and Thursdays 3:00 - 5:00 p.m.) or by making an appointment by emailing   

The GAIN program provides employment-related services to CalWORKS participants to help them find employment, stay employed, and move on to higher paying jobs, which will ultimately lead to self-sufficiency and independence. CalWORKS participants receive GAIN services in the GAIN Regional offices. It is mandatory for all CalWORKS participants to participate in GAIN. Often your role as a student will meet the hour requirement needed to satisfy GAIN. Hours spent in class and whether you go to class full-time/part-time will be considered. You will need to submit your student schedule usually on a quarterly basis. GAIN will approve your “Student Status” and help with the cost of your books and school supplies.

CalFresh (Food Stamps)

CalFresh was established to improve the nutrition of people in low-income households. It does that by increasing their food-buying power, so they are able to purchase the amount of food their household needs. CalFresh benefits are used instead of money at the grocery store. It is also known as “food stamps". CalFresh benefits are issued via an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. There is a pre-screening tool you can use online to verify if you are eligible for CalFresh.

You can apply multiple ways for DPSS benefits. Feedback from our students who have previously applied say that they have had the most success and fastest response with applying either online or in-person.

You can find the online application here. The system will prompt you to create a YourBenefitsNow! account.

Hardcopy applications can be found at your nearest DPSS or in the Bruin Resource Center. The nearest DPSS office to UCLA is in West Los Angeles at the corner of Pico and Sepulveda, down the street from the mall (Westside Pavilion). It is called the Rancho Park #60 office. It is suggested that if you go in-person, that you visit their office first thing in the morning to avoid long lines and wait times (office hours are typically 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.). With your hardcopy application, you will also want to make sure you are prepared with the following information:

    MyUCLA information:

  • Copy of Schedule of Classes, Enrollment Verification, Financial Aid Award/eFAN 
  • Copies of all utility bills (ex: water, sewer, garbage, electricity, gas, etc.) 
  • Copy of Lease Agreement
  • Copy of Driver's License
  • Copy of Driver's License
  • Copy of Social Security Card
  • Copy of UCLA ID Card (you also need to provide this for your spouse if you are married)
  • Copy of Child(ren)'s birth certificate and Social Security Card

The BRC is happy to help you make copies of these items for you so you are prepared with your DPSS visit. 

US Postal Service: You can mail materials to:*
Dept. of Social Services, Attn: CalFresh
1110 W. Pico Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90064. 

*This is not recommended though.

WIC Program

The Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Supplemental Nutrition Program is a federally-funded health and nutrition program for:

-Women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or just had a baby
-Children under 5 years old (including foster children)
-Families with low to medium income (working families may qualify)

In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, WIC is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. 

What can you get at WIC?

-Special checks to buy healthy foods from WIC-authorized vendors: milk, eggs, bread, cereal, juice, peanut butter, and much more.
-Information about nutrition and health to help you and your family eat well and be healthy
-Support and information about breastfeeding your baby
-Help in finding health care and other community services

Where can I find WIC? 

WIC has local offices all over California. Call 1-888-WIC-WORKS (1-888-942-9675) or use our online search feature (opens a new browser window). Outside California please call (1-916-928-8500).

Do I qualify?

Generally, WIC is available to: low income, pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women. Additionally, WIC is available for low income parent or guardian who is the sole provider of children under age five who are at nutritional risk and who are at or below 185 percent of the federal poverty level (See income guidelines (PDF)

You can take the WIC Eligibility Assessment to see if you qualify* or contact your local WIC office to make an appointment and find out which documents you will need to bring with you. (To find your local WIC agency use our online search feature- opens a new browser window)At your appointment, WIC staff will check to see if you and your family qualify.


Medi-Cal is California's Medicaid program. This is a public health insurance program which provides needed health care services for low-income individuals including families with children, seniors, persons with disabilities, foster care, pregnant women, and low income people with specific diseases such as tuberculosis, breast cancer or HIV/AIDS. Medi-Cal is financed equally by the State and federal government. If you qualify, you will be required to choose an actual insurance plan like an HMO or PPO. Your Social Worker can help you with selecting the best option for your family. Feedback from our UCLA parenting students is that HealthNET is a popular one. Look for the welcome packet and list of primary care doctors that you will be required to choose.

Section 8

The California Section 8 (Housing Choice Voucher) Program is a federal government initiative that aims to help low-income families in the state to access affordable, safe and sanitary housing. This program is operated by the California Housing Authority (PHA) which has offices spread across the state. The California Public Housing Authority (PHA) receives funds directly from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and uses these funds to administer the vouchers to beneficiaries of the program.

So how does the program work? 

In order to qualify, applicants to the California section 8 (Housing Choice Voucher) need to meet a set of specified eligibility requirements. These eligibility requirements are mainly based on the applicant’s family income and nationality.

If you meet the California Section 8 basic eligibility requirements, you should go ahead and apply for participation in the program. Application is a fairly easy process that requires you to contact your nearest California Public Housing Authority (PHA) local agency, fill an application form. Provide the necessary verification documents and wait for your application to be processed.

Who can Qualify for Section 8?

In order to qualify for the California Section 8 (Housing Choice Voucher) Program, applicants need to meet a set of specified eligibility requirements. These eligibility requirements are set by the California Public Housing Authority (PHA) and are based on several different criteria that are specified on their website.

How to Apply

If you meet the California Section 8 (Housing Choice Voucher) basic program eligibility requirements, you should go ahead and apply for participation, all you need to do is:

Contact your nearest California Public Housing Authority (PHA). A list of local California PHA and their respective contact information available on this link. After contacting your nearest PHA, you should obtain, fill and submit an application. After filling the application, you should wait for the PHA to process your application. You can obtain further information on the California Section 8 (Housing Choice Voucher) by using the contact information available on this link.

Emergency Services

211 LA County 

211 LA County is your go to connection to a variety of resources from emergency housing, food, and crisis services. Just dial 211 (or toll free 800-339-6993) or visit their website to search a wide variety of community resources and information by zip code.

Domestic Violence

If you are a victim of domestic violence, there several resources available. Peace Over Violence is a non-profit and violence prevention center headquartered in Los Angeles and they provide emergency assistance for families in need. Their 24 hour rape and battering hotline is 310-392-8381. 

The California Department of Public Social Services also has a listing of shelters and walk-in clinics available all around the metro Los Angeles area.

Department of Public Social Services (DPSS)

The Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) entity that overseas CalWorks, CalFresh and the MediCal program. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis and is dependent upon what type of services the student is seeking. Cash aid is listed under CalWORKS and includes additional resources for food assistance and Medi-Cal. The CalWORKS Program is primarily for families with minor or dependent children living in the home. CalFresh (State) and/or SNAP (Federal) is for monthly food assistance in the form of an EBT Card. The EBT card is used like a debt card, with a PIN # that can be used at most grocery stores (and local farmers markets!). This social service benefit is also available to college students on federal financial aid and working an on-campus or off-campus job. Medi-Cal provides medical insurance benefits to low-income families not covered under student status or employment. 

LACountyHelps is a great online tool that can help you determine different health and human resources programs you and your family may be eligible for. Every family situation is different, so do not hesitate to apply regardless of weather you think you may qualify or not. 

The nearest DPSS office to UCLA is the Rancho Park Office #60(corner of Pico and Sepulveda): 11110 W. Pico Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90064.  Their office hours are Monday - Friday 8:00 - 5:00 p.m.  This DPSS Office can assist students who are on CalWORKs, CalFRESH (food stamps), and Medi-Cal.  The Culver City 6 Bus goes directly from UCLA to the DPSS Rancho Park Office. 

You can apply multiple ways for DPSS benefits. Feedback from our students who have previously applied say that they have had the most success and fastest response with applying either online or in-person.

You can find the online application here. The system will prompt you to create a YourBenefitsNow! account. 

Hardcopy applications can be found at your nearest DPSS Office or in the Bruin Resource Center. It is suggested that if you go in-person, that you visit their office first thing in the morning to avoid long lines and wait times. With your hardcopy application, you will also want to make sure you are prepared with the following information:

    MyUCLA information:

  • Copy of Schedule of Classes, Enrollment Verification, Financial Aid Award/eFAN, Copies of all utility bills (ex: water, sewer, garbage, electricity, gas, etc.)
  • Copy of Lease Agreement
  • Copy of Driver's License
  • Copy of Social Security Card
  • Copy of UCLA ID Card (you also need to provide this for your spouse if you are married)
  • Copy of Child(ren)'s birth certificate and Social Security Card

The BRC is happy to help you make copies of these items for you so you are prepared with your DPSS visit. 

US Postal Service: You can mail materials to:* 
Dept. of Social Services, Attn: CalFresh
1110 W. Pico Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90064

*This is not recommended though.

Food Resources

Graduate and Professional Students

The Students with Dependents program works closely with the UCLA Graduate Division’s Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Scholar Case Manager, Armando Flores.

Contact Information:
Armando Flores
Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Scholar Case Manager
UCLA Graduate Division (310) 206-1158

Graduate Student Resource Center
The UCLA Graduate Student Resource Center is a resource and referral center specifically for currently-enrolled graduate and professional school students. In conjunction with the Graduate Students Association, it plans the campus wide Graduate Student Orientation and Equity, Inclusion and Diversity Graduate Welcome Day events for incoming graduate and professional school students. It is also the home of the Graduate Writing Center, which offers specialized support, workshops and one-on-one writing appointments for any writing related to your field of study.
Location: B-11 Student Activities Center
As graduate and professional school students, you may be both a student and a UCLA staff member. Different policies may apply to you depending on these roles, and/or even how you are funded. If you are expecting, discuss policies and procedures for childbirth, leave and/or accommodations with the student affairs officer/graduate counselor from your academic department or school. The staff at the Bruin Resource Center’s Students with Dependents program will assist in outlining you 

If you are experiencing discrimination or any type of stressor affecting your ability to academically perform as a pregnant, lactating, or parenting graduate student, talk with the Students with Dependents program staff. Speaking with the Students with Dependents Program staff will minimize time and aggravation; they are able to give you specific referrals to offices and staff that may assist with your particular situation or issue. 

Depending on your particular situation, and how you are funded, and the kind of work you are doing, you may have additional rights and/or resources available to you through:
UCLA Title IX Office
Center for Accessible Education
ADA/504 Compliance Office
UCLA Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Campus Human Resources Staff Diversity and Compliance
UC Student Workers Union

Graduate childbirth accommodation and Childbirth leave
From the Graduate Division’s website: Six weeks of maternity leave funding are automatically granted for expectant mothers holding UCLA Fellowships, Graduate Division Endowed Fellowships or fellowships offered by academic departments and centers at UCLA. (Refer to the Graduate Student Financial Support booklet for lists of these fellowships.) Also, a student holding a TAship is eligible to receive up to six (6) weeks of paid leave for pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions for the period prior to, during and after childbirth (refer to Article 17 Leaves of the University of California and the UAW contract). You do not need to apply for Childbirth Accommodation Funding if you have an appointment as a Teaching Assistant nor if you have these types of fellowships. 

The UCLA Childbirth Accommodation Fund was established to provide expectant mothers who work as GSRs (Graduate Student Researcher), or who hold extramural fellowships that do not fund maternity leave, with paid leave for up to six weeks. A student may choose to continue to work in some modified capacity during these six weeks but is not required to do so. A longer period of leave may be granted, without pay, in the case of exceptional medical circumstances experienced by the mother or child before or after birth.

Research doctoral students who are undergoing childbirth or coping with other serious parenting demands are allowed additional time to meet established deadlines for passing preliminary and/or qualifying examinations and completing their dissertations. See page 23 of Standards and Procedures for Graduate Study at UCLA for more details. 

Please visit this page on the Graduate Division’s website for more information, FAQs, and for the petition forms.

Consult with Students with Dependents Program Staff, the Graduate Division’s Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Case Manager, and/or the Insurance Office on the 4th Floor of the Ashe Center to make sure that you understand how the timing of your leave may affect your health insurance. Consult with them ahead of time so you can make an informed decision and avoid a break in health insurance.

Graduate childcare Reimbursement Program

This program is for registered UCLA students holding at least a 25% ASE (Academic Student Employee—includes teaching assistants, readers and tutors) and/or GSR (Graduate Student Researcher) appointment during the academic year and who have (a) qualified dependent(s). An ASE/GSR who meets the standard eligibility requirements will be offered a reimbursement of up to $900 per quarter or $1,350 per semester for childcare costs during the academic year. Additionally, an ASE/GSR who meets the standard eligibility criteria for a summer session appointment can be reimbursed up to $900 for eligible expenses incurred during the summer.

The $900 limit applies regardless of the number of summer terms an ASE/GSR may work in a calendar year. To be eligible for reimbursement during the summer term, the ASE/GSR must also be a registered student in the regular academic terms preceding and following the summer session appointment. 

Please visit the Graduate Division’s website for forms, FAQs and the reimbursement process. Please note that this program is not available to those holding a fellowship—it is available only to those who have at least a 25% appointment as an ASE/GSR.

Academic Resources


There are many options for academic counseling at UCLA depending on your needs.
Undergraduate Students

  • College Academic Counseling:  CAC is the place to go for general questions regarding requirements for graduation, any academic difficulty you may be experiencing, and program planning such as double majoring or taking on a minor. 

  • UCLA Departmental Counselors: Each department at UCLA has its very own counselors to help students with their  upper division requirements working towards a degree.  If you have questions regarding major/minor requirements, courses for your major/minor, professors in your major/minor, or anything having to do with your major/minor, you would go see your departmental advisor.  Click on the link to find your department's website. 

  • Honors Counselors: In order to see an Honors Counselor, a student must be accepted in the College Honors Program.  To find out if you qualify, click on the link above.    

  • The Academic Advancement Program known on the UCLA campus as AAP, is the nation’s largest university-based student diversity program for undergraduate students. AAP promotes academic achievement and excellence through academic advising, collaborative learning workshops, mentoring to prepare for graduate studies and professional schools, summer bridge programs for entering freshmen and transfer students, and scholarships for our students. Many students in AAP come from high-need families, are the first in their families to go to college, are recent immigrants, or come from populations that have been historically underrepresented at the university. Many UCLA parenting students participate in AAP, since they are one of the main offices besides the BRC that can assist students with completing CalWORKS/GAIN paperwork.
    If you are an AAP Member, join their Facebook Group.  

  • Student Athletics Counselors:  The S.U.C.C.E.S.S Program provides an interactive learning environment that emphasizes life-long learning habits, goal setting, teamwork, leadership, and character.  Academic advising as well as a Peer Learning Lab are only available to UCLA student athletes. 

Graduate Students

Academic advising is predominantly provided through your academic department.  Per your admission, you should be contacted by your Graduate Student Affairs Officer.  Your Student Affairs Officer is your go to person for all questions related to policies and procedures regarding your academic programming.   Within your department, you may also work closely with a Faculty Adviser.  

A complete list of tutoring resources available for a variety of subjects can be found through UCLA College of Letters and Sciences

For more tutoring options, contact your Departmental Advisor/Student Affairs Officer.  Advisors are usually listed under "Contacts" or "Staff". 

There are many options for academic support in Residential Life such as College Academic Mentors, Classes on the Hill, and the Undergraduate Writing Center locations on the hill. 

If you qualify for AAP, you have access to peer mentoring service which offers free tutoring to all AAP members who want to strengthen their abilities to think independently, read analytically, write well, reason quantitatively, and study effectively. 

The Student Retention Center in the Community Programs Office offers peer counseling, mentorship, and tutoring to undergraduates with academic difficulties and cultural/social transitions. 

The Undergraduate Writing Center helps students with particular writing assignments and also guides students to become more effective and confident writers. 

The Community Programs Office's Writing Success Program provides one-on-one writing counseling with peer support, quarterly workshops on writing, and daily drop-in hours. 

Graduate Resource Center
The UCLA Graduate Student Resource Center is a Graduate Students Association initiative that is managed by Student Affairs.  The GSRC is a resource, referral, and information center for graduate students, offering programs and workshops on a variety of topics, drop-in advice and assistance, meeting and study space, and the opportunity for social interaction.  The GSRC is also the home of the new Graduate Writing Center.  All graduate and professional students are welcome. 

Make sure to join their email list to stay up-to-date on GSRC events and programs by emailing  You can also follow them on Facebook

They are located in B11 of the Student Activities Center.  Office hours are Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. 

Undergraduate Writing Center

The Undergraduate Writing Center provides individualized consultations on writing. 

They offer support at any point in the writing process: when students are starting a writing assignment; after they have written a draft or part of a draft; after they have gotten feedback from a professor or TA and want to begin revising; as they are polishing a paper and want help in learning how to proofread and edit their own writing. 
Graduate Writing Center

The Graduate Writing Center offers a variety of workshops and programs throughout the year.  They offer targeted programming for dissertation and theses support.  During the summer, they offer dissertation "boot camps" for graduate students working on dissertation proposals and dissertations.  For master thesis writers, they offer the mater's thesis writing program. 

Sign up for free appointments available with graduate writing consultants.  Appointments give you 50 minutes to talk with a graduate writing consultant on a variety of topics.  Appointments are limited to one appointment per week, available on a first-come, first-serve basis.  You may schedule an appointment up to two weeks in advance. 

UCLA Libraries

There are eleven libraries available for students and each offer a variety of resources and services. 

The libraries have many different tools to help students succeed, from research tutorials, to book reserves from other campuses, to one-on-one appointments with librarians, and reserved study spaces, these are a terrific resource to utilize.  Some libraries have 24-hour study space.

The UCLA Library website alone provides a priceless resource for students.  Also offered through the Library are workshops and tutorials regarding how to formulate a research question, conducting thorough database searches, techniques of research writing, proper citing, and more.

Textbook Services

UCLA students usually do not purchase books until they have fully checked out a  class and have gotten a grasp on how much of a book they will actually be needing. This may help in deciding which books you will actually need to buy and which ones you can borrow from a classmate or make copies of for a chapter or two. 

Lastly, if you find that finances are impacting your well-being, we can set up a financial wellness budgeting session with me once you get to campus. Check out our program's new website here for more resources:

1. USAC offers a textbook scholarship that UCLA students can apply for. Check back here for details on when you can begin to apply once the school year starts: 

2. The ASUCLA bookstore offers price match for most books and textbook rental services here:

3. Many students also use to both rent or buy textbooks at a very low/affordable cost

4. Check out as another great used textbook/rental service that students here find helpful and low-cost

5. Many students also loan books through our UC campus libraries for FREE! check out the service here: